“Swimmers take your mark and *insert sound of buzzer here*” splash! The Chesaning Cohos dive into the water. It’s a wonderful day in mid January. Even though it’s 20 degrees outside, in the indoor pool area it feels like 100 degrees. The crowd is dressed for summer with winter coats on the seat underneath them but the swimmers are perfectly fine in their suits. Me? I’m running times from the start/end of the lanes to the official time keeper. But I’m also keeping my eyes open for one particular swimmer. My little brother.
Emilio started competitively swimming for the club team when he was only seven years old. He fell in love with the sport as soon as his body hit the water and hasn’t stopped swimming since. For him, swimming is his release, his stress reliever. It’s like dancing or writing for me. It’s very special to him since our mom was a swimmer in high school as well and now she coaches the team. So along with doing what he loves, Emilio gets to spend some quality time with our mom….even though she yells at him and pushes him beyond his limits in the pool.
“When I’m underwater, it feels like I’m in my own type of world with just me and my goggles,” Emilio says of the love of his life, the sport that has consumed every part of him.
When he’s not swimming or annoying me, you can usually find Emilio sitting in front of the TV watching The Middle or SpongeBob, or if I’m there, Teen Wolf. TV is a big pat of who my brother is, but he’s not a lazy couch potato like you may be thinking at this point. He’s a very active kid and sometimes we all need some time to just sit and relax.
“I like it [The Middle] because I can relate to Sue and Brick. And it pretty much describes our family.” As you can tell, The Middle is his favorite show….at least at the moment. Even though it gets on my nerves that he’s watching it everytime I walk into the living room, it makes him laugh which makes me happy.
My brother and I are very close and have been since he was born. Here are some questions I asked him so you guys can get a better understanding of our relationship.
- Q: If there is one thing you could change about me what would it be? A: Your attitude in the morning, your TV interests, and your social skills (okay that’s three things but whatever).
- Q: Favorite memory you have of us? A: Playing dress up together or taking selfies with mom in the car when we went to Texas and she was asleep.
- Q: If you could describe yourself in three words what would they be? A: Loud, lady’s man (he made me put that), ambitious.
- Q: If you could describe me in three words what would they be? A: Boy-crazy, dessert-crazy, crybaby – but only when you don’t get your way (he’s lying I’m not a crybaby).
- Q: If you could go back in time and change one historical event what would you do? A: Get everyone out of the Twin Towers….or stop the cancelling of Victorious (apparently that’s a historical event in his mind).
- Q: If you could hang out with someone, dead or alive, for a whole day, who would it be? A: Mom’s dad cuz we never met him.
- Q: What is one big thing you want to accomplish in your life? A: To get hit by a meteor and get superpowers (his first answer was to go to heaven and meet God, but he decided to change it at the last second).
On to some fun facts for you guys now!
- He knows a lot of useless facts, like that fireworks were made by mistake.
- He’s a great hugger.
- He’s seen every single Disney movie ever made.
- Together him and his friends call themselves P.E.T.E
- His favorite song at the moment is Better When I’m Dancin’ by Meghan Trainor.
- He wants to meet Chloe Grace Moretz.
- If he could go any place in the world it would be Atlantis.
- His favorite thing to do with me is criticize how fake Sci-fi movies look.
- This summer he is most excited for the premier of Sharknado 4.
- The thing he is going to miss most about me when I go to college is our random conversations.
Okay guys, that’s all I have for today! I hope you enjoyed learning about my wonderfully annoying brother. Keep tuning in to catch the last two episodes of Family Week!! Until tomorrow….well later today since it’s midnight in Michigan…